Eggplant Beef Marinara
Quick to prepare, this delicious meal packs a big protein punch.
- 2 eggplants
- 1 tbsp. olive oil extra virgin
- 14 oz. extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise.
- Using a knife, cut the flesh of each eggplant in a cross-hatch pattern; be careful not to cut through the skin.
- Place the eggplant halves on a baking tray, flesh side up.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until soft.
Prepare Beef Marinara Sauce
- Heat a dry, non-stick pan over medium-high heat and cook the ground beef for 5-6 minutes until browned.
- Add in the onion and garlic, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and rosemary, then bring to a boil.
- After bringing to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Continue simmering until eggplant is ready, which should take around 20 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven, and scoop out the center, leaving enough meat inside the skin to hold its shape.
- Chop the removed flesh, and add to the beef, mixing well.
- Spread 1⁄4 of the beef marinara sauce over each eggplant half, and sprinkle each with cheese.
- Place the stuffed eggplant back into the oven, and continue to cook for about 10 more minutes until lightly browned.